Saturday, 13 July 2013

Lifeboat by A.B. Shepherd: Book Review

Lifeboat
*a copy of the book was given to me by the author for review
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): Cass has lost everything; her husband, her son, and her will to live.

She walks in the dark when sleep eludes her. One sleepless summer night she spies a UFO and discovers a new obsession. It gives much-needed focus to her empty life.

When natural disasters destroy the Earth, Cass and other survivors are rescued and taken to a new world where the human race can begin anew. But something is wrong here. This may not be the paradise they’ve been promised. Survivors are vanishing without a trace.

Can Cass unravel the riddle in time to save herself?
Review:If you are like me and you love to read books that transport you away from reality, then this book is just for you. This book focuses on a woman who’s lost everything and she suddenly becomes obsessed with UFOs. I usually don’t read books that involve aliens and this book was quite refreshing. I will admit that this book was a little creepy but don’t let that scare you! Most good books should make you feel a little irked if not scared to keep reading. I really enjoyed the characters in this book. The main character, Cass, was Australian which I loved. I don’t get to read a lot of books in the point of view of Australian people. I love their speech patterns, just saying. This book was also interesting. I was wondering what advances the plot would make. I am also pleased to say that the ending was completely unexpected but quite good. It was a little sinister but it did answer a lot of questions. The writing style of this book was well done. Overall, if you are looking for a well-written book centered around aliens and UFOs then this book is for you!

-Shelly