Friday, 30 August 2013

Book review starring: NOCTURNE by Andrea Randall and Charles Sheehan-Miles

Look at the GORGEOUS cover:



Savannah Marshall is a gifted flutist and daughter of musical royalty when she enrolls in the elite New England Conservatory of Music. Brilliant, eclectic and passionate, she lives music, but struggles with her plans for the future.

Gregory Fitzgerald is one of the most renowned cellists of his generation. A member of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and professor at the Conservatory, he is laser focused on his career to the exclusion of friends, family and especially romance.

When Gregory and Savannah’s paths cross in the classroom, it threatens to challenge more than their wildly differing beliefs on music. Friendships, ethics, and careers are put on the line as Gregory and Savannah play a symphony of passion and heartbreak. 

In the final movement, Gregory and Savannah are handed their greatest challenge, as the loss of absolutely everything they’ve held as truths hangs in the balance.


MY REVIEW:


Yup. This book really did a number on me. It ripped my freaking heart out, tore it into tiny pieces and stuffed them in four different corners of the world. Be prepared to be challenged, emotionally and morally; pack up your boundaries because there are none in the book; bring out the tissues, tequila, vodka, and anything else strong enough to pull you through this devastatingly beautiful love story because you’re going to need it. 

It only took me a second to read the prelude and I.WAS.HOOKED. Captivated. Ensnared by the seductive writing style and incredibly detailed characters. Savannah and Gregory couldn’t be any more different from each other, yet so similar in their determination to uphold their own beliefs, own morals. 

“He wanted us to play by all the rules that held his brain in his head. Rules that would make our compositions indistinguishable from the composer at hand. As much fun as that sounded, I was determined to breathe new life into old music. To keep it alive and fluid and moving. Snobby professor-be-damned.”

Savannah is carefree. Gregory is structured. Savannah is fiery. Gregory is indifferent. And yet…these two individuals can’t help but feel an attraction towards one another. And their connection is so….intense. Dynamic. And emotionally agonizing to read. 

“In truth, I felt as connected to him as I’d ever felt with anyone. What we created between the two of us was so much bigger than what either of us did alone. I literally felt the walls of my ego and isolation fall away, leaving me open, raw…and vulnerable. I felt ecstatic. Beautiful. In love.”

There were MANY times in the book I just wanted to stop reading because of how brutal the characters’ circumstances were. The book is split into 2 parts, not purposely so, but as part of the progression of the story and the characters’ lives. Just when I thought there was going to be a breakthrough….BAM. I seriously felt as if the authors slapped me in the face. Purposely taunting me. Dangling a thin thread of hope that seemed to be out of reach. 

description

As heartbroken as I felt, I continued on because, well, it’s kind of impossible NOT to, for so, so many reasons.

“But it wasn’t the physical impact…it was the emotional. Everything had changed. Again. We’d broken all the rules…then set new ones, and then broke those.”

This book really tested me. Tested my patience, my morals, my boundaries. Pushed and pounded against them until I finally relented. I rejoiced in the unacceptable, relished the forbidden. It got to a point where I just didn’t care what society expected of Savannah and Gregory, didn’t care about the reality of their lives. I wanted them to indulge and explore their relationship, their bond, their connection. 

“He’d gone off the course of our program. His eyes didn’t move from mine as he played. He was begging me to say yes. To agree to a life with him that had no certainty, no clear future. Gregory stripped himself bare to me on that stage, going against his musical boundaries, pushing his personal limits, and he was asking me, again…”


Say yes.

Savannah and Gregory’s emotional ride overwhelmed me. I felttheir pain, their longing, their love. I was knocked off my feet, constantly, and I’ve never felt so much fury and frustration towards a book before. I definitely can’t rate this book like I normally do, so I’m going to break it down:

Writing: 5+ Stars
Emotion: 5+ Stars
Story: 3 Stars
Savannah: 5 Stars
Gregory: 3.5 Stars

Overall: 4.5 STARS!!! 


To view more of my reviews, connect with me on Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/feifeile95