Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Slide by Jill Hathaway: Book Review

Slide (Slide, #1)Genre: YA Paranormal Mystery
Published: March 27th 2012
Rating: 3.75/5 stars
Source: Bought
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth--her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn't actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else's mind and experiences the world through that person's eyes. She's slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed "friend" when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie's slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can't bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting distant lately, especially now that she's been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

My Thoughts: Slide really surprised me. To be honest, I was expecting a predictable but interesting novel but what I got was the complete opposite. Having no experience with mystery novels, I did not predict half the plot twists that occurred in this book. I thought this book was interesting, thrilling and just a little bit crazy (but in the good way).

Upon reading the synopsis. I assumed that this book would be fairly simple. A girl single-handedly solves a mystery and becomes the classic hero everyone expects and loves. I was totally wrong. Slide is filled with mystery and an unsolvable crime. As the evidence piles up, the book becomes even more mysterious until everything clicks indescribably in the reader's mind. As unpredictable as the book was, I was expecting a more shocking ending and a confusing but logical motive. I thought that the motive for the murder, no matter how crazy, was unjustified. It was unrelateable and frankly, too coincidental.

The characters of Slide were well written. I was surprised that the main character of this book did not appall me (I usually hate the main characters,especially the heroines). I really enjoyed reading this book through Vee's point of view, even if some of her actions were a little stupid. I also enjoyed reading about the minor characters like Rollins, Mattie and Vee's father. As much as I liked Vee, I would have loved to get to read more about the minor characters. This book mainly focused on Vee's past with her mother and her sister getting over her friend's death. It was a little repetitive at times and sometimes annoying. I found myself skimming the flashbacks versus actually enjoying them.

I am really glad that this book has a sequel (that I will definitely be reading) because I want to learn more about the minor characters and I thought that the ending of Slide was a little too abrupt. Overall, I enjoyed Slide due to unpredictable plot twists, great minor characters and a heroine that seemed somewhat relatable. I will definitely be reading the sequel sometime in the foreseeable future.

-Shelly