Saturday, 7 September 2013

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schnieder: Book Review

The Beginning of EverythingGenre: YA Contemporary (Romance)
Release Date: August 27th, 2013
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Source: Bought
Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.

No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures.
But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: if one’s singular tragedy has already hit and everything after it has mattered quite a bit, what happens when more misfortune strikes?

Robyn Schneider’s The Beginning of Everything is a lyrical, witty, and heart-wrenching novel about how difficult it is to play the part that people expect, and how new beginnings can stem from abrupt and tragic endings.
My Thoughts: Lately I've been on what I can only call a ‘contemporary craze’. The Beginning of Everything is part of that list. I heard about this book long before it came out and it seemed interesting. I’m not one for romance so if I was interested in it, it must have meant that this book was a keeper. After reading this book, I am left thinking that I should have waited for it to appear at my local library. This book is worth a read but I’m not sure it was worth buying days after its release.

I think the main reason this book did not receive four-five stars is because of one main character. The synopsis of this book provided readers with a glimpse at the main character and a love interest. I really liked the protagonist, Ezra. We see him go through a personality change in which he becomes a much better and interesting person. Ezra was not the perfect guy we often see in young adult novels, which is both nice and refreshing. However, the love interest was not very appealing. Cassidy, a seemingly intelligent and unique person, turns out to be a complete let down. Unlike Ezra, Cassidy went through a personality change in which she became an even worse person. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Cassidy at the beginning. She seemed nice and actually believable but it’s hard to concentrate on that when you get to the ending of the book.

Some of the reasons that kept me from bumping up this review to four stars were the big plot twists. I found the plot twists to be completely predictable and I saw them coming. Prior to the plot twist, the characters were acting like it was a big mystery when all along, it was right in front of their eyes. I won’t go in to detail because I don’t want to reveal any major spoilers. I will say this however, contrary to the synopsis statements, my heart was never wrenched.

Despite a somewhat failed plot twist and an unappealing love interest, The Beginning of Everything still has some very redeemable qualities. As mentioned before, the main character was absolutely phenomenal. I loved reading this book in Ezra’s point of view. I also really enjoyed the writing style and I loved all the minor characters except the ones I’m supposed to hate, of course. The romance elements of this book were OK. I think they would have been swoon-worthy if the love interest, Cassidy, didn't make me want to punch her in the face. I really liked the ending. It was a nice ending and it wasn't very happy, which actually made it seem more realistic.


Overall, I think this book is a definite read for people who want to learn more about life-changing moments and for people who don’t mind some annoying characters. Every one has a different opinion when it comes to books so I think that many people will love Cassidy, unlike me, so give this book a try if you believe in second chances.