Saturday, 28 September 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater: Book Review

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)Genre: YA Paranormal Fantasy
Publication Date: September 17th 2013
Series: The Raven Cycle #2 (Book 1)
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: Bought
The second installment in the all-new series from the masterful, #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Maggie Stiefvater!
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after... (via goodreads)


My Thoughts: After reading the Prologue (only 3 pages long), I was hooked. If you haven’t read this series yet, what are you waiting for? Even though I didn’t enjoy Maggie Stiefvater’s Shiver series, this series is totally amazing. The Raven Boys was considered “Gansey’s” book and so when I heard that the Dream Thieves was Ronan’s book (he will forever be my favourite character), I couldn’t wait to read this book.

The characters in this book will continue to amaze me. Ronan is still the troubled misunderstood guy we all know and love but in this book, we get to learn more about his past and the secrets that occupy his handsome bald head. In the Raven Boys, readers all feel really bad for Adam (the poor friend in a gang of rich guys) but in this book, I started to hate him. I know that he’s always wanted to leave Henrietta and become rich but this book, the only words that describe him are “money-hungry”. Adam’s character development really disappointed even though he does slightly redeem himself near the end of the book. Noah was barely even in this book (as you can see, he’s not even in the synopsis) and that made me really disappointed.I swear the only time Noah appeared in this book was to piss me off. I don’t want to give any spoilers but seriously him and Blue do not work as friends. The bromance between Noah and Ronan seemed like it had so much potential! Gansey was still as put-together and cute as ever (nothing else about him really changed). Blue was still a nice character but I did feel like punching her in the face at one point. We are also introduced to some new characters in this book. Kavisnky is a very bad and evil character but it was really interesting to read about him. The Gray Man, a hit man and potential love interest of Blue’s mother, was just amazing. I always hate the introduction of new characters but this character was just amazing.

The romance in this book was just amazing. The Blue and Gansey relation ship can only be described using this gif:
tumblr_mbysrcTLVg1recdwto9_500
Their relationship sort of kinda blooms but they never even talk about it so it kinda frustrates me. Other than that, the romance was SO cute! I just want to hug Gansey and Blue and tell them to kiss already (even if it means Gansey’s death…)

The actual plot and Glendower stuff really developed in this book and it was so interesting to read about. My favourites part of the book would have to be the epilogue and prologues! The ending totally left me hanging and I can’t wait to read the next book. Overall, this book does not have “second book syndrome” but I did get very annoyed at the main characters at certain points in the book. The wait for the next book will be horrible but hopefully, totally worth it. If you haven’t read this series, what are you waiting for?